3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars
Some games are subtle. Some games hit you over the head with their simplicity. Very few games allow you to quickly and easily jump into the action, then slowly reveal subtleties after repeated play. 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars is one such game.
Suitable for one-offs or campaign play, 3:16 can be used to run straight-up Aliens-style bug hunts or extended deployments in which characters advance in rank and have to grapple with more complex moral issues.
Here’s how the creator of 3:16 describes the game:
- Elegant, simple game system
- Very low-preparation to start
- Complete game in one book
- Designed for campaign play
Three Things About 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars
- Simple, Lethal Mechanics: This game uses straightforward conflict resolution mechanics, and the possibility of character death is everpresent.
- Focused Setting: Player characters are members of the 16th Brigade, 3rd Army Expeditionary Force, sent by the Terran Council to wipe out any and all alien threats. The mechanics are, however, straightforward enough to allow the game to be hacked to suit the military sci-fi setting of your choice.
- Flashback Character Exposition: Character creation is extremely fast, but over the course of play more is revealed about characters through “Flashback” moments that affect the course of events.
“…it’s so easy to instantly ‘get’ your character, and the strengths and weaknesses system ensures that as you play your character’s backstory gets more involved and compelling.” — Jez Gray, RPG.net
“3:16 is a well-built machine that gets you into the action quickly and keeps you there until you’re ready to come up for breath. It works as a quick one-shot game and has the real potential to shine as the platform for a protracted campaign.” — Jimmie Bise, Jr., RPG.net
Buy the PDF at DriveThruRPG
- RPG StackExchange