Based on the land of Ferelden from the computer games of the same name, Dragon Age uses a classes and levels approach. Stunts allow successful actions to become more effective and cinematic.
The Ferelden setting provides the standard fantasy races, as well as a rising evil for heroes to rally against. The game works well for campaigns in which the player characters gain powers over time, rising to meet greater and greater challenges.
Here’s how the publisher describes Dragon Age:
The Dragon Age RPG brings Thedas to your tabletop! Now you can experience BioWare’s rich and engaging world in a classic pen & paper roleplaying game.
Three Things About Dragon Age
- Beginner-Friendly: The rules are intended for use by beginners and experts alike.
- Dark Fantasy: Based on the Dragon Age video game, the action takes place in the world of Ferelden, where adventurers take on the deadly Blight and its darkspawn.
- Stunts: The core mechanic uses three six-sided (‘normal’) die, and doubles generate stunt points, which are then used to perform extraordinary actions.
Note that the first version of this game came in three boxed sets, each covering higher levels of character capability. The reviews below are based on the first version of the game. The new core book puts all the rules into one book. The rules have not been changed in a major fashion, but there are some alterations that broaden the setting.
- “Overall Dragon Age RPG is a fun role-playing game with easy to learn mechanics that gift the player with a range of options.” — Brennon, Beasts of War
- “This is a good choice for nostalgics longing for a cleaner, more consistent, and better-looking version of old-time fantasy games.” — Sophie Lagacé, RPGnet
Get Dragon Age
- Download the free Quickstart PDF from Green Ronin
- Buy the book and PDF from Green Ronin
- Buy the book from Amazon
- Buy the PDF from DriveThru RPG
See Dragon Age in Action
Watch Wil Wheaton and friends play a game of Dragon Age (run by Chris Pramas, the game’s creator) on Tabletop: