Fate Accelerated Edition (FAE) is the streamlined version of Fate Core, a universal roleplaying system that gives gamemasters and players the tools to create adventures in any genre, or a mix of genres.
Here’s how Evil Hat, the producers of FAE and Fate Core, describes them:
Maybe you’re looking for the ideal pickup roleplaying game. Or you’re a first-time gamer looking to try something new without investing hours of your time. Regardless, Fate Accelerated Edition will bring something special to your table.
- Easy-to-follow rules for character and world creation
- Rock-solid storytelling advice for players and GMs to produce the best play experience
- Clearly-defined systems to guide players both new and old
- New and improved approaches to character actions, aspects, compels… and more!
A Few of the Things That Make FAE and Fate Core Different
- Flexibility: The Fate Core rules state that “Fate doesn’t come with a default setting, but it works best with any premise where the characters are proactive, capable people leading dramatic lives.” This emphasis makes both FAE and Fate Core a particularly good fit if you want to run a fast-paced, pulp-style narrative.
- Narrative Orientation: The Fate system is driven by the premise that players should have more control over narrative flow than in more traditional tabletop RPGs that place all narrative control in the hands of the gamemaster.
- Ease of Prep: Because FAE and Fate Core mechanics are focused on story, gamemasters spend more of their time preparing story hooks for players than working on stats and charts.
- “So, [for] quick fun and all-inclusive games I love FAE. But for precisely the same reason I prefer Fate Core if I were going to run something with a little more meat and strategy.” — Mark Knights, The Pathfinder Chronicles
- “[Fate Core] is the Fate system weaponized; designed to be put in the hands of a GM to create awesome games the moment they read the book.” — Phil Vecchione, Gnome Stew
- “After four gaming sessions I can say with confidence that Fate Core is a fantastic, and impressively versatile, roleplaying system and it immediately became one of my favorites.” — Bartoneus, Critical Hits
- Download PDFs of the FAE and Fate Core rulebooks (which are pay-what-you-want), plus character sheets and more from Evil Hat.
- Purchase the print + PDF bundle for FAE from Evil Hat.
- Purchase the print + PDF bundle for Fate Core from Evil Hat.
A Note About Dice
FAE and Fate Core use Fudge dice (named after Fudge the game system that led to Fate). Evil Hat’s Fate Dice come in a variety of styles. You can also use die-rolling apps such as Pip for the iPhone and Simple Fudge Dice for Android.