After publishing the Serenity RPG using the Cortex System, Margaret Weis Productions obtained rights to Firefly and created a new game built around an overhauled system called Cortex Plus.
Here’s how the publisher describes Firefly:
Firefly puts you right in the middle of the action of the wildly popular television series, outrunning Alliance cruisers and trading bullets with fearsome bounty hunters, folk who want what you have or want to put out the light of hope that you represent.
Three Things About Firefly
- Based on the TV Show: Unlike its predecessor, this game is licensed for the Firefly TV show, rather than the Serenity movie, which gives its creators access to more source materials.
- Cortex Plus: Firefly uses the Action variant of Cortex Plus, which uses a dice pool built with attributes and skills.
- Complications: To evoke a cinematic feel, as the player characters barely avoid death, they can accumulate Complications that can come back and bite them later.
- “This is the game I had hoped the Serenity RPG would be, back in 2005.” — Sophie Legacé, The Reef
- “It has high production values, fantastic rules design, and strong advice for running a game like the show.” — Andy Hauge, Ludicrus Gaming
- Buy the book and PDF from Margaret Weis Productions
- Buy the book at Amazon
- Buy the PDF at DriveThru RPG