Steve Kenson designed the classic Champions superhero RPG. With Icons he wanted to create lean rules that emphasized quick worldbuilding and rapid play. Icons is designed with pick-up games in mind, and is suitable for one-shot games and campaigns of short or long duration.
Here’s how the publisher describes Icons:
Icons is your all-in-one package for superhero roleplaying adventure: quick, easy, descriptive, and fun!
Three Things About Icons
- Team Orientation: Superheroes often operate in teams, and tabletop RPGs are based on teamwork. Every superhero team in Icons has special collective capabilities and resources.
- Lightweight Mechanics: Task resolution incorporates levels of failure and success, from failure to marginal, moderate, major, or massive success from one roll using six-sided dice.
- Universe Creation: For campaign play in Icons, your group creates a wide array of heroes and villains, so game master duties can be rotated and players have the opportunity to play more than one character.
- “Icons has measured up well to our expectations.” — John Arendt, Dreams in the Lich House
- “If you are looking for a super hero game that you can pick up and play relatively quickly, this is the game for you.” — Christian Lindke, Topless Robot
Links to Icons groups and posts: