Night’s Black Agents
Good things of day begin to droop and drowse, While night’s black agents to their prey do rouse.
Night’s Black Agents pairs two genres that might at first seem incongruous: the spy thriller and the vampire horror tale. Dangerous, highly-competent professional spies learn that vampires are pulling the strings, and vow to take them down.
Leveraging the GUMSHOE system, the game focuses on investigation, skill utilization, harrowing chases, and fluid combat in the dark corners of famous European cities.
Here’s how the publisher describes Night’s Black Agents:
Night’s Black Agents brings the GUMSHOE engine to the spy thriller genre, combining the propulsive paranoia of movies like Ronin and The Bourne Identity with supernatural horror straight out of Bram Stoker.
Three Things About Night’s Black Agents
- Modes of Play: With a few minor adjustments, the game can be tweaked to make it more deadly, more fraught with psychological damage, filled with intra-party intrigue, driven by intense character motivations, or a mix of these modes.
- Chase Rules: Detailed mechanics make it possible to create thrilling chases through winding alleyways, on rooftops, along the Autobahn, and along the convoluted waterways of Venice.
- GM Tools: Gamemasters (known as ‘Directors’ in NBA), are provided a variety of means of creating vampires and the conspiracies they sit atop, in a fashion that allows the player characters to come at the vampire conspiracy from many angles.
- “…if you ever wanted to play James Bond beating the crap out of Dracula, you’re never going to find a better game for it than this.” — Dave Chalker, Critical Hits
- “…a game that combines smoke and mirrors spy stuff, quick doses of action, and good old-fashioned investigative horror.” — Paul Mitchener, The Imaginarium of Doctor Mitch
- Buy the book and PDF from the publisher Pelgrane Press
- Buy the book at Amazon
- Buy the PDF at DriveThruRPG
- Pelgrane Press has put together a forum and a resources page with free goodies for players and directors.
- RPG StackExchange