Savage Worlds focuses on easy character creation, combat that can scale from a bar-room brawl to a war between nations, and a fast-moving pulp-style feel. The game is well-suited to cinematic, heroic adventure.
It can be used for one-offs or campaign play, and there are many genre, setting and adventure books available.
Here’s how the publisher describes Savage Worlds:
It has everything you need to play narrative or miniature-based games, with quick, simple, yet comprehensive rules for everything from combat to Dramatic Tasks, Chases, and Interludes.
Three Things About Savage Worlds
- A wide variety of published settings: Pinnacle has published many setting books, and third-party settings for Savage Worlds abound.
- Proficiency advances by dice type: Rather than adding a trait or skill rating to a roll, the rating is the type of die used in the roll; a novice shooter would roll a d4, while a sharpshooter might roll a d10.
- Fast and flexible combat: Designed for use with miniatures, but playable without them, the combat rules focus on quick resolution and easy situation tracking for even large group situations.
- “I’ve been playing pen and paper RPGs for twenty years and I have never found a rule system as simple, intuitive, fun and fast paced as Savage Worlds.” – Danny, The Goblin Beat
- “Play something involved, crunchy and watch it run smoothly. I’d almost say that the more rules you use, the better it works.” – Andreas Davour, The Omnipotent Eye
A new edition of Savage Worlds is due in 2019. The publishers promise it will be backward compatible with minimal conversion and a free conversion guide will be provided.
- Download the Savage Worlds Test Drive quickstart. This 24-page PDF includes the Savage Worlds Test Drive rules, Triple Cross, an adventure set in the fantasy world of Lankhmar, and printable game aids.
- Buy the book from Studio 2
- Buy the book from Amazon
- Buy the PDF at DriveThruRPG
- Pinnacle provides a host of free resources (select ‘Savage Worlds: Core’ on the menu) for gamemasters and players, and maintains an active forum
- RPG StackExchange