First published in 1989, Shadowrun blends cyberpunk and fantasy to create a near-future world in which player characters engage in corporate espionage and other dirty work, using magic, technology, and cunning.
The fifth edition consists of the Shadowrun Beginner Box Set and the Shadowrun Core Rulebook, each of which are stand-alone games.
Here’s how the publisher describes Shadowrun:
Shadowrun, Fifth Edition is the newest version of one of the most popular and successful role-playing worlds of all time — a fusion of man, magic and machine in a dystopian near-future. With rules for character creation, magic, combat, Matrix hacking, rigging, and more, you have everything you need to face the challenges of the Sixth World.
Three Things About Shadowrun
- A Tremendously Detailed Game World: The game’s future history has been extensively developed over the past 25 years, giving gamemasters a vast palette for creating adventures.
- The Blending of Technology and Magic: From shamans to riggers, dragons to hovertanks, the rules incorporate virtual reality, advanced technology, and magic of all stripes.
- Dice Pool Mechanics: If you like rolling lots of six-sided (‘normal’) dice, this is the game for you.
- “It managed to keep all the things Shadowrun fans love about the game, while also streamlining many aspects of it, and making it highly accessible to new players and new GMs.” — Matthäus Cebulla, RPG.net
- “It’s certainly a wonderful experience, you just have to put up with seeing the glaring cracks every once in a while as things bog down.” — Henry, Fistful of Wits
Try It for Free
Download the Shadowrun 5th Edition Quick-Start Rules, which includes a stripped-down version of the core rules, the Fast Food Fight intro adventure, and pre-made characters so you can start playing right away.
- Buy the beginner box set from Amazon
- Buy the core rules book from Amazon
- Buy the PDF of the core rulebook at DriveThruRPG
- Catalyst provides a slew of free resources, a forum, and more at Shadowrun Tabletop
- RPG StackExchange