Vampire: The Masquerade
Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition is the most recent in a series of overhauls that have been applied to the original gothic horror game that upended the roleplaying world in the 1990s.
The dark, brooding World of Darkness setting hit the gaming world with the 1991 release of Vampire: The Masquerade, giving rise over the subsequent two decades to a variety of games covering a range of horror themes and creatures, from ghouls to werewolves. But vampires have always been the stars.
The 5th edition of Vampire: The Masquerade represents the latest rules and updated metaplot for vampire-centered play in the World of Darkness setting. The history of the World of Darkness and Chronicles of Darkness settings and core rulebooks is a bit confusing, but here’s an overview:
Three Things About Vampire: The Masquerade
- Tighter Focus: The 5th edition provides more detail about a smaller number of Clans and revises some aspects of the metaplot.
- Revised Hunger Mechanics: As a character’s Hunger increases, more Hunger dice are introduced into their rolls, which can produce dangerous outcomes.
- You’re a Monster: To a much larger degree than previous versions, 5th edition makes it clear that while characters are in many ways more powerful than humans, that comes at a cost.
- “After we finished our second session I thanked my players and told them that I had enough experience to write my review. Every single one of them agreed that they were way too invested and having way too much fun to stop.” — Mike Robles, The Mommy Gamers
- “…if you’ve never played Vampire: The Masquerade, this is a fine introduction that will give you everything you need to put you in this world and help you build a character.” — Gavin Sheehan, Bleeding Cool
Get Vampire: The Masquerade
- Download the free Monsters quickstart PDF from DriveThru RPG
- Buy the PDF at DriveThruRPG
- Buy the book from Amazon
- Buy the book and PDF from Renegade Game Studios