Unique fantasy adventurers leap into the conflicts that roil the Dragon Empire!
Whether a Fighter, Wizard, Druid, or other class of adventurer, your One Unique Thing differentiates you and provides special advantages. You are also connected to your world through a relationship, for good or ill, to one of the powerful Icons that shape the course of history.
Two of the designers involved in the creation of 3rd and 4th edition D&D combined forces to create 13th Age. While maintaining the core d20 mechanics familiar to D&D players, they stripped away some of the complexities and added storytelling elements found in many newer games.
The game encourages players to adjust the rules as they see fit. While there is a default setting, tweaking it or using other settings is encouraged. This is a high fantasy game that works well for campaigns that emphasize heroic characters engaged in dramatic adventures. It is supported by several official adventures and supplements.
Here’s how publisher Pelgrane Press describes 13th Age:
13th Age combines the best parts of traditional d20-rolling fantasy gaming with new story-focused rules, designed so you can run the kind of game you most want to play with your group.
What Fans Love About 13th Age
- One Unique Thing – Every player character has a special quality created by the player, which makes that character unique in the game world.
- Icon Relationships – Player characters have defined relationships with powerful non-player characters, creating built-in motivation and adventure hooks.
- Escalation Die – In combat player characters improve their odds of success as the battle continues, leading to fewer drawn-out combat scenes.
- “Three things get me about the game: its elegant simplicity, the boiled down D&D 3e and 4e rules and mentality, and the encouragement to just play.” – Cerri’glok, Ereth’cerri
- “Overall, if you and your players enjoy improvisation and world building, and one of you is an experienced GM, this might just be the game for you.” – Melody Heron Anderson, Gaming As Women
See 13th Age in Action
- Pelgrane Press maintains an active 13th Age forum
- Check out 13th Age on Reddit
- Get answers to your 13th Age questions on RPG StackExchange
Try It for Free
- Grab the quickstart rules PDF