Defeat your foes with your own blend of magic and fighting styles!
This fantasy game of long lineage uses percentile (aka d100) mechanics. There are no character classes, there are a variety of magic types, and basic magic is potentially accessible by all characters. In Mythras, combat is detailed, using hit locations and a variety of modifiers for positioning and tactics.
The immediate predecessor to Mythras was known as RuneQuest 6th edition. But as sometimes happens in the tabletop RPG industry, ownership changes and licensing arrangements shift. So some changes were made to RuneQuest 6, and the game was released as Mythras. If you’re looking for a generic system with proven mechanics and a grittier feel than d20 fantasy, Mythras may be a good fit.
Here’s how publisher The Design Mechanism describes Mythras:
Players and Games Masters have complete flexibility over what can be achieved, and the way characters develop is entirely dependent on choices players make, depending on their characters’ aspirations and motivations.
What Fans Love About Mythras
- Cultural Influence – In this game a character’s cultural background (such as Barbarian or Nomadic) determine initial skills, available magic, and fighting styles.
- Five Distinct Forms of Magic – Folk magic, animism, mysticism, sorcery, and theism can all be used in a single game world if desired.
- Fighting Styles – Combat skills are built around styles of combat rather than proficiency in individual weapons, and the rules provide a variety of maneuvers such as charging and evading.
- “Mythras is your game if you are looking for a roleplaying game with a strong feeling of realism and strategic combat.” — El Runeblogger, El Runeblog
- ” In many ways, it’s the Rolls Royce of the D100 gaming world, being clean and dignified and being a robust ruleset.” — Newt Newport, Sorcerer Under Mountain
See Mythras in Action
- Find Mythras fans on Reddit
- Get answers to your Mythras questions on RPG StackExchange
- Grab the free Mythras Imperative quickstart PDF from DriveThru RPG
- Buy the book and PDF from The Design Mechanism
- Buy the PDF from DriveThru RPG