Brave the perils of the Ninth World and wield the power of the Numenera!
Earth is incalculably old. Eight worlds have come and gone, leaving layers of forgotten history, strange creatures, and objects of tremendous power. Characters in Numenera explore this bizarre world and uncover its secrets.
The second edition of this game consists of two core books – Discovery and Destiny – as well as a boxed Starter Set, all of which are backward-compatible with the first edition. Numenera is well-supported with a wealth of supplements. Characters in Numenera come from one of three broad classes and advance by gaining experience points, but those traditional d20 mechanics are married to newer elements that offer a great deal of narrative control to players. It is a medium-crunch system delivered with plenty of advice for gamemasters. While it can be used for one-offs, Numenera is best suited to campaign play.
Here’s how publisher Monte Cook Games describes Numenera:
The people of the Ninth World suffer through a dark age, an era of isolation and struggle in the shadow of the ancient wonders crafted by civilizations millennia gone. But discovery awaits for those brave enough to seek out the works of the prior worlds.
What Fans Love About Numenera
- A Unique Post-Apocalyptic Setting – Set in earth’s far distant future, technology advanced enough to be indistinguishable from magic coexists with agrarian economies, alien species, and unrecognizable creatures.
- Character Differentiation – A character type is joined with a descriptor and focus to rapidly generate a unique character.
- Streamlined NPCs and Monsters – A non-player character or monster’s level determines attack and defense targets, so gamemasters have less work to do up front when creating encounters.
- “… if you’re interested in the best version of core Numenera, this book is great, accessible, and has some useful and elegant updates.” — Mephit James, Mephit James Blog
- “Looking an Numenera 2 as a whole, I think you have to conclude that it is an example of 2nd editions done right, and perhaps the best example of 2nd editions done right.” — Michael Boyle, Play to See What Happens
See Numenera in Action
Try It for Free
- Grab the free quickstart rules and adventure from DriveThru RPG.
- Buy the Starter Set or core books in print and PDF from Monte Cook Games
- Grab the Discovery and Destiny PDFs at DriveThruRPG