Mutant: Year Zero
Mutants scour the ruins and work to build a thriving ark, but there are dangers in the wastelands of the old world!
The Ark is small, but it’s your home, and you all need each other to build a better future. You bring special abilities to the group, and together you‘ll brave the irradiated, contaminated dangers of The Zone.
In 2014 Fria Ligan (aka Free League) published an English translation of the Mutant: Year Zero variant of the highly-successful Swedish Mutant franchise. Since that release Fria Ligan has released several adventures and other supplements in English. Modified Mutant: Year Zero mechanics also power several other Fria Ligan games, such as Alien, Coriolis, Forbidden Lands, Tales from the Loop, and Twilight: 2000.
Here’s how publisher Free League describes Mutant: Year Zero:
It’s time to venture out. To explore the Zone, to search for artifacts, for knowledge. To build, grow the land, seek out others, create a new civilization on the ruins of the old. Seek your origin.
What Fans Love About Mutant: Year Zero
- You’re All Mutants – Unlike many post-apocalypse games in which mutations are possible, in Mutant: Year Zero they are integral to player characters’ ability to survive.
- The Ark – Rather than roaming the wastelands as rootless vagabonds, characters are part of a well-defined community with a home they want to protect and nurture.
- Dice, Cards, and Maps – The game uses special dice (included in the starter bundle, and normal dice may be used in their place) to resolve conflicts; cards for quick determination of threats, mutations, and artifacts; and a combination of pre-made maps and charts to aid gamemasters in populating the ruins outside The Ark.
- “My players and I had a blast playing and can’t wait to get back to the Zone.” — Brian Ennis, The British Fantasy Society
- “The mechanics are fresh and modern. Its incredible theme and engagement reveal a depth not often encountered in role-playing.” — Antonios S., RPG.net
See Mutant: Year Zero in Action
- Free League hosts an official forum.
- Get answers to your Mutant: Year Zero questions on RPG StackExchange.
Try It for Free
- Grab the free 41-page preview PDF from DriveThru RPG.
- Print, Starter Bundle, or PDF from Modiphius
- PDF at DriveThruRPG